
Have any of you seen this movie? My sister and cousin told me about this movie the other night. Tanner and I watched it and basically I wanted to boycott Tyson! It is so sad and gross to think about how we get meat to our tables. But that was my feelings on thursday night and by last night I was eating mcdonalds again... I loved what the movie had to offer and it was enlightening but lets be realistic I can't not eat meat and I cant afford to buy all organic farm fresh meat even though I would especially after watching this! All in all I enjoyed it but it was super sad how they treated the animals!
3 comments:
I agree with you. I love meat & I'm poor so I buy processed food all the time. I try to go to farmers market in the summer & get everything fresh. It was a good movie though. I'm glad you liked it.
The movie provides a biased side (a bias only rivaled by a Michael Moore documentary) to promote organic agriculture farming. The church uses all of the modern techniques for the cattle they raise, I do have enough confidence in the church to not do something that would harm us. Also cows are herbivores, corn is a vegetable...not unnatural for them. They have a ruminant digestive system with four compartments and they get a lot of their nutrition from the ruminants metabolic activity, the ruminants will help the cow digest the food. Also if farmers could get rid of E. Coli by taking corn out of the cows diet they would, but several studies have shown they cant. Also hormones are not used in veal, pig, or poultry production. 5 hormones have however been approved for raising cattle, but only after being approved by the World Health Organization and the Food and Agriculture Organization. There has not been one documented case reported where a person's immune system was resistant to antibiotic treatment due a chicken being given antibiotics. As far as anything that is said towards type 2 diabetes. Its important to note that it has grown disproportionally among hispanics and african americans, which typically are in lower income households. This is probably because chips and crappy food are so cheap. So how would switching to organic food help out if its more expensive? It wouldn't, if our whole food industry was to go organic market prices would skyrocket...pushing them to continue to eat the cheaper food. Maybe we should continue producing food with the advances that we have already made in order to lower costs, then people will be able to buy cheap food that is healthy. And since you think its too expensive for you to eat brings up another important point...it would be impossible to feed our nation if we adopted the type of agriculture that the move proposes. The way the movie suggests to raise chickens would require 45 million acres, that is more farmland than is available in all of Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, and Arkansas. It is unrealistic to propose to feed our nation the way suggested. I just think this one sided documentary takes away all the attention from where it should be, lack of exercise and poor eating choices (and not the choice of organic or not organic).
okay... the second post was Zach.... he's crazy :)
Post a Comment